Pages

Friday, September 8, 2017

The Books of 2017: Part One of Many



SO, HEY, i've read a heck of a ton of books this year (I mean, not as much as the ROBOTS who have read nearly 300 books but they are not human so we do not worry about them) and I haven't reviewed, like, any of them. Let's blaze through the books I've read, shall we? And I'll tell you which ones you must toss your entire life aside AT ONCE to read, and you will listen, because that is where we're at in this relationship. OKAY THEN.

Get ready for some quick impressions of a whole bunch of books I read in 2017, some quick opinions, and some general incoherence! Also, this will not be in order, because why be logical about anything?



The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Indiebound

HI, READ THIS, THANKS. If you like gloriously, gleefully anachronistic historical romps, wonderfully flawed main characters, bad ass broads, super gay sparkle ships, and all around good times, read this! The pacing sagged in the middle, and I didn't love the alchemical semi-magical bent the plot took, but I LOVED the characters, Monty in particular. He is hilarious and broken and the trash prince of my heart. MONTY, MY LOVE, I WILL FOLLOW YOUR EVERY DISASTROUS ADVENTURE TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH.



We Are Okay by Nina LaCour
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Indiebound

Okay so this book made me cry for about a YEAR. Fantastically written, searing, honest, brutal, and I will never ever read it again and I'm putting it in the freezer. OUCH. If you like pain, you'll like this. Some people I know were bored reading it, since it's a very INTROSPECTIVE, SLOW AGONIZINGLY PAINFUL kind of read. I was very not bored but I was also BLEEDING ALL OVER THE FLOOR, so.



Song of the Current by Sarah Tolscer
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Indiebound

OH I ADORED THAT. Pirates and riverboats, hate to love, a fiesty and snarky heroine who totally knows who she is and what she wants, a wonderfully snobby love interest, and a funtastic world. I saw all the plot twists coming a mile away, but who CARES, this book is just delightful. If you like fantasy, fun times, swashbuckling, smoochy smooch, sass, and boys with swords, COME ON IN, THE WATER'S GREAT.



Starflight by Melissa Landers
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Indiebound

SPACE SHIP, SHIP SHIP. This was also a VERY FUN kind of read, which I am all about. There's a space crew, there is total hate to love, there is space adventures, if that is your jam at all, do give this a go, because I totally inhaled this one. It's not perfect but the dialogue is snappy, there's a found family aspect that always gets my heart a-meltin', and it's how i generally prefer my sci-fi: light and SHIPPY.



Hunted by Meagan Spooner
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Indiebound

This was a lovely, magical, and lyrical fairy tale. And above all, it was SET IN OLD TIMEY RUSSIA, with Russian fairytales and a magical snowbound land and good times. It lacked a bit of depth, but the writing and setting were luscious, and you know I can never resist a Beauty and the Beast retelling. Plus, there is a REALLYA WESOME DOG in this book. Always a bonus.



These Ruthless Deeds by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Indiebound

HOLY SHIT THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD AND IT RUINED MY LIFE, please read this series so you can experience the OTP angst, the hilarious quips, and the PLOT TWISTS OF DOOM AND DESTRUCTION AND HOLY SHIT DID THEY REALLY JSUT DO THAT??? (In case you don't know, this book is pitched as Jane Austen meets X-Men, which you NEED) (THough I kind of hate that pitch because this book is set in Victorian times, aka not Jane Austen times, but it gets the feeling across and BASICALLY I WANT YOU TO READ THIS SERIES)



Shuffle, Repeat by Jen Klein
Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository | Barnes and Noble | Indiebound

This was so obscenely cute I'm in pain. I absolutely ADORED this contemporary romance. I'm pretty sure I read it in one sitting. Totally giggly adorably stinking cute. Mega ship. And I'm a sucker for mega judgmental contemp heroines who learn not to be mega judgmental bitches, and also CUTE SWEET ADORABLE LOVE INTERESTS omg my heart is all mushy




Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen audiobook (reread)

This is only the second audiobook I've ever listened to in my life, and it was FANTASTIC. It's the free, public doman librivox version recorded by Karen Savage, and she is british and wonderful. Every single character is utter perfection, I swear she is a wizard. This audio was utterly sublime and  I definitely recommend it. It's here on Youtube for those interested!


4 comments:

  1. I thought Starflight was fun too. I have NOT heard great things about the second book, so I have avoided it. I am a fan of the These Vicious Masks series too. I thought there was more swoon in book 2, so that made me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! *adds all the books to wishlist*
    Also, Russian, old-timey fairytale love- have you read The Bear and the Nightingale? It is all these things and will also break your heart a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also also: Fun shippy family-found spaceship stories- have you read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet? I recommend!

      Delete
  3. I didn't love GGTVAV as much as I wanted to, mostly because of the alchemy plot and the slightly more serious tone than I expected but THAT ENDING. So shippy! I really liked Song of the Current and Starflight too, both super fun adventurous reads. And I particularly shipped the ship in Starflight plus how great was that space pirate fight!!! I loved that! I bought Hunted for my bday, must read sooooon. I can't believe you hadn't read Shuffle Repeat IT IS THE CUTEST!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)