Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Top Ten Underrated Books

hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

These are ny favorite books that have under 2000 ratings on Goodreads, which is a tragedy that must be rectified. Seriously, these books are amazing. PLEASE READ THEM. Before I start taking to street corners and to preach in their names/hurl them at passersby. Because I will do it.

1. Every Breath by Ellie Marney



1,965 ratings | My review

YOU GUUUUUYS THIS BOOOOOOK IS EVERYTHIIIIIIIING Mystery! Sexual tension! Family dynamics! Best friendship! SHIPPPPPPP. The entire trilogy is under 2000 ratings each and that is just unacceptable.

2. These Vicious Masks by Tarun Shanker and Kelly Zekas



1,704 ratings | My review

I loved this paranormal historical SO much. The main character was witty and hilarious, the mystery was compelling, the powers were fun, the romance was swoony and fraught and full of Complications, and I cannot wait for the sequel, which promises much epicness.

3. Rebel Mechanics by Shanna Swendson



1,073 ratings | My review

1. Gorgeous cover 2. Plucky, enterprising governess heroine 3. CUTE BOY CUTE BOY (I know what I'm about) 4. MAGICKS mixed with ALTERNATE HISTORY plus A DASH OF STEAMPUNK 5. Rebelssss!

And the sequel comes out soon! And look at the COVER *heart eyes*:



4. Valiant by Sarah McGuire



451 ratings | My review

I said in my review that this reminded me of Ella Enchanted, in that it felt like a lost, old school childhood fave. It's a fairy tale retelling that almost feels like an original fairy tale, like you'd find it in a big illustrated book of stories. It's cozy and lovely and pleeeeease read it!

5. The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine



1, 348 ratings | My review

1. Nordic-esque fantasy world with ICE MAGIC and FIRE MAGIC and doomed magical queens and destiny REVERSED 2. DESTINY REVERSED 3. Bisexual main character. 4. CUTE BOY 5. DANGEROUS BOY 5. Kick ass plot 6. Kick ass sequel on the way

6. Right of First Refusal and Out of Good Behavior by Dahlia Adler



378 ratings | 147 ratings

I'm QUITE picky when it comes to New Adult, but this series just may be the best ones I've read so far. They're hilarious but also have very true emotions. And speaking of true, the dialogue is WONDERFUL. Realistic and irreverent and crass in just the way most college students are. I could basically picture myself hanging out with the three best friends who make up the three main characters, and whose relationship--in addition to their individual (V HOT, V SEX, V YES) ships--is the core of the series. I haven't actually read the first one (I read this series backwards for no earthly reason) but the two I read were top notch.

7. The Distance Between Lost and Found by Kathryn Holmes



1,816 ratings | My review

I have a huge weakness for "lost in the wilderness and forced to survive on rain droplets and possibly poisonous berries for TWENTY SEVEN DAYS" stories, of which this is one, yes, but it's also a really personal story about one girl grappling with friendship issues and loss of faith, and it's very much an underrated little contemporary gem. Not normally my thing at all, but somehow I really ended up loving this book. Also LOOK AT DAT COVER.

8. A History of Glitter and Blood by Hannah Moskowitz



656 ratings | My review

This is the weirdest fucking book in the world, and I do not say that lightly. It's weirder than Grasshopper Jungle. It's weirder than my wildest fever dreams. Not everyone is going to like this bizarre, cracktastic fantasy, but oh my god, I so did.

BONUS:

These books juuuust came out, so there's a chance they may make it over the 2000 rating hump, but I'mma pimp them regardless because they're AWESOME



The Long Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Outrun the Moon by Stacey Lee
Girl Against the Universe by Paula Stokes

7 comments:

  1. I love Dahlia Adler's books - and I loved the first book so much but haven't read the other two yet (I fail) I also had Ellie Marney on my list because seriously everyone should read it! :)

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only book I know from this list is The Long Game (I also mentioned it in my TTT today ^^). I very much enjoyed this book. I was surprised to find out it was still under 2000 ratings. But it's only been a month, so it can still go up. As for the rest of the books... I'm planning to read Girl Against the Universe - I heard nothing but amazing things!
    Great list! It's actually good that I don't know most of these books because the whole point is to expose as to underrated books (:

    My blog: http://magiverse.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  3. A History of Glitter and Blood! Your review of the book was what sold me on reading it, and I'm so happy I did. I spent most of it with my jaw open in disbelief, but it became one of my favorites of 2015. :)

    I have Girl Against the Universe in my TBR pile. Now I have to add a few more titles to the list. Thanks for the great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebel Mechanics was so fun, and I'm so glad there's going to be a sequel. Also so much yes to Outrun the Moon and Girl Against the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree 100% with GATU and Every Word and The Impostor Queen!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHH I want to read Every Breath SO BADLY. I still remember reading your review ages ago and thinking I NEED THIS BOOK IN MY LIFE. I really must buy it soon! GREAT LIST!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT EVERY BREATH. And The Impostor Queen. And Rebel Mechanics. They all deserve moooooore attention! I have These Vicious Masks & Valiant at home, I should read them soon! They sound fantastic. Your list is awesome, as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Note: comments on posts older than 90 days are automatically moderated, so they won't show up here immediately. Thanks for commenting! :)